[rt-users] Using RT to track outgoing requests

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Apr 27 08:18:42 EDT 2011

Nathan Ward wrote:
> On 27/04/2011, at 10:15 PM, Raed El-Hames wrote:
>

>> Nathan:
>>
>> There are different ways of dealing with the scenario you have.
>> What I do in here in a set up very similar to yours, is create a ticket with the customer contact as a requestor,
>> When 3rd party supplier needed I create a linked/child ticket in queue that does not send a standard auto-responder and instead an email similar to correspondence.
>> I like to separate my supplier and customer communication , hence the use of a linked ticket, but I have a scrip that trickle the updates from the child ticket to the parent as a comment, this allows me to have all correspondence on the issue in one single ticket.
>>

> This approach sounds good, but I'm not sure it will work for me. I often need to create a ticket with a customer, for example "We need to move this around in such a way" or "We need to free up some hard drive space" or something.
> I also often deal with suppliers that are not my supplier, but the customers' supplier - for example today I have a problem where a customer's outbound email relay at their ISP is blacklisted, and I've noticed this, so I need to raise a ticket with the people who run their in-house exchange server and manage moving their mail to relay through a host I provide them.
> I could go to my customer and have them relay information for me, but that's a pain when they are not technical and don't pass information on quite right - I prefer to deal direct.

This is exactly the boat I'm in as well.  I need to send an email to a
3rd party, either as a new ticket, or from within an existing ticket.
We are piloting RT as a way to keep track of utility work.

The other day I had the need to request a contractor provide a price for
a service for an existing project.  I ended up sending the email through
Outlook, getting the quote back, sending that to RT as a new ticket, and
then merging the tickets.  Yuck.  I can do that; I can't train my users
to do that.

I need some way to send a fairly ordinary looking email to an outside
party that is not on the ticket, from within RT and attached to a ticket.

--Yan

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My tv is Taiwanese. My country's politics are Byzantine. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?