[rt-users] Allowing users to set only themselves as owners

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 12 12:46:06 EDT 2011

Laura,

What you are talking is possible, but it would be thru Permissions on a
Queue-by-Queue basis. Once someone has a right globally, you are pretty
limited in the ability to restrict access anywhere else. However, if you
grant "OwnTicket" to a particular group for a particular Queue, then only
they will have the right to own a ticket in that Queue and will only see
those members of that group in the drop-down list.

here's where it catches people; most newer RT folks like to grants a lot of
rights to users and at the global level. They also do NOT like to be
restrictive in the way they design the Queue throughput. If you have all
tickets going to the same Queue and then try to do this, it won't work.
You'll have to come up with a flow that puts certain tickets into the
specific Queue that only that specific group deals with as "first
responders". They can't all do it from the same Queue.

This can be done by writing a scrip that accepts tickets, either initially
(this would be a global scrip), or in the general Queue and it evaluates
some Custom Field (like area of responsibility or type of work or type of
something that identifies it) and then based on thos conditions, move the
ticket in to one of those specific Queues that has a group of limited
members allowed to own a ticket.

That's the best idea I can come up with at the moment.

Hope it helps.

Kenn
LBNL