[rt-users] Incoming messages all plain text

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Thu Aug 25 15:24:04 EDT 2011

Please keep your responses on the mailing list.

On 08/25/2011 03:06 PM, DeVore, John wrote:
> I ran the query you listed and it returns with 'Empty set'.

No results means that the message in question had no MIME parts, but was
made up of just a single MIME entity.

> There is a record in the Attachments table with a MessageId of
> CAP5SNsEgyCSDQk6no6NpdiGy_v+=ktq1Uf8M64tcLoOpd5AENw at mail.gmail.com
> which I see when I run:
>
> select * from Attachments where MessageId='CAP5SNsEgyCSDQk6no6NpdiGy_v+=ktq1Uf8M64tcLoOpd5AENw at mail.gmail.com'\G
> (see attached results)

The results of this query show me what I need to know.  Note that the
content type is text/plain, not multipart/alternative as expected with
both a text/plain and text/html part included (both in the parsed
ContentType column and the raw Headers column).  This means that when RT
received the message, it had no HTML part.  I suspect something else is
munging your message before it gets into RT.

Do you have spam/virus filtering setup?  What's your fetchmailrc look
like?  You can try having fetchmail pipe the messages it fetches to a
different command instead of rt-mailgate to capture what it downloads.

Thomas