[rt-users] Stop RT for Backupprocess

Thomas Smith theitsmith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:36:20 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:05 AM, john s. <fireskyer at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to Stop and Start RT in order to make an Backup Process.
>

> Should i Kill or Stop the RT Process ? Whats the difference  and what does
> it make more sense?
>
> And which processes are belongs to RT?

I'm not a MySQL expert by any means, but isn't it possible to get a
quiescent backup of MySQL without stopping/starting any services?

It's my understanding that one can issue a "read lock" as part of the
mysqldump command. If this is the case, wouldn't it be less disruptive to
users since the web and email services would not be shutdown in order to
perform a backup.

I have also read that this "read lock" works particularly well when using it
to backup a replica, since this would require zero down time.

~ Tom