[rt-users] trouble upgrading from RT 3.8.8 to 4.0.0

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:19:44 EDT 2011

Hi.  We're using RT 3.8.8 with a Postgres back end, and are having trouble
with the upgrade instructions in the rt-4.0.0 README.

I am trying to follow step 6b, If you are UPGRADING from a previous
installation:

          make upgrade

This runs to completion (although I had to add the rt-4.0.0 directory
to my $PATH
so "make" could find install-sh which ships with the rt-4.0.0 tarball;
and I had to
create "www" user and group, which is referred to by install-sh)

"make upgrade" completes with:

Congratulations. RT has been upgraded. You should now check over
/opt/rt4/etc/RT_Config.pm for any necessary site customization. Additionally,
you should update RT's system database objects by running
    /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba root
--prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade

However, when I run the setup database script, it tries to connect to
SQLite database instead of to my Postgres database:

#     /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --dba root
--prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to
connect to your  SQLite instance on localhost as root
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:

So, looks like there is a step missing in the upgrade procedure...
shouldn't RT know what
my database is?

My RT3 instance is still up and it works, but we'd like to move to 4,
the UI looks much nicer in 4.

Thanks!
Aleksey