[rt-users] Images in emails

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Fri Nov 4 11:43:54 EDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Kevin Fox <root.kev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, ok then.
>
> Thanks for letting me know Ruslan.  I assume that is because the original
> email is broken up into attachments and text, and the format of the original
> email is not kept?

No, it's not broken up by RT, but by MUA that sends it. Each image is
an attachment. Email
is HTML where img tags have special URLs to point to attached images,
so receiving agent
can extract files for images from email's attachments.

Even when RT shows HTML it uses scrubber to get rid of dangerous
parts. IMG tags are also
skipped. Not skiping tags is easy part, but rewriting src attributes
to point to attached files is
a little bit harder. Images are processed with libraries that have
bugs that can be used to inject
executable code into images, so it's better to give people link "show
images in this email".

This is doable, but needs development time.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.