[rt-users] fetchmailrc

mjames at guesswho.com mjames at guesswho.com
Fri Nov 18 14:46:12 EST 2011

Knowledge that I'd like to document for the list. By trial and error, on Centos 5 I've found that you should use single quotes if your password contains special characters such as '$'. Double-quotes didn't work. I also found (thx, Google) that in Exchange 2007 plaintext password authentication is disabled by default, but it can be turned on (assuming that POP3 is enabled on Exchange server in the 1st place) http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2007/11/exchange-2007-pop3-err-command-is-not.html and many others.

Also, I think you can use secure POP3 (port 995) but it seems I would need a version of fetchmail with SSL compiled in. The stock version that comes with Centos 5.7 doesn't. Nor does it have NTLM compiled in. NTLM can be used with IMAP (secure port 993) if I understand correctly.

[root at tracker ~]# fetchmail -V
fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
This is fetchmail release 6.3.21+HESIOD+NLS.

Our Exchange server does have OWA (outlook web access), and I've found two tools that can access mailboxes via OWA - DavMail and FetchExc.

Mike