[rt-users] Linking foreign tickets to RT tickets

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Nov 23 09:00:58 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 02:38:08PM +0100, Vegard Vesterheim wrote:
> We would like to implement automatic handling of email messages with
> "foreign tickets" in our RT installation.
>
> When we get an email message containing a foreign ticket-id, we will
> create a new RT ticket in our system, taken special care to register the
> foreign ticket-id. When we get an email message with updated information
> about a previously seen foreign ticket-id, we will append/merge this
> into the existing RT ticket in our system. Ticket resolution could be
> automatic as well.
>
> I found this solution on the wiki, which implements a similar idea.
> http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/AutoCloseOnNagiosRecoveryMessages

This has been repackaged as rt-extension-nagios

> We would like this to be handled in a generic way. In principle one
> ticket in our RT system can refer to several other tickets on different
> foreign ticket systems. The first question is how to store the foreign
> ticket-id. One possibility is to use one of the Links fields in RT,
> another is to create a specific multivalued custom field.
>
> I guess this is a common use-case, and it could probably be implemented
> in a generic way, maybe even as an RT extension. I am wondering if
> someone has done something like this already.

The problem with the generic solution is usually the
parsing/regenerating of the foreign system's ticket information.
That tends to vary wildly.  I'd probably store the foreign ticket info
in RT using a Custom Field with a Link To setting back into the
foreign system, but a Refers To link would also work.

-kevin