[rt-users] Bug or feature? Unpriviledged users see first article via webinterface

Lars Braeuer lb at mpexnet.de
Wed Oct 5 05:09:11 EDT 2011

Am 03.10.2011 16:07, schrieb Kevin Falcone:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 06:37:47PM +0200, Lars Braeuer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to allow a priviledged user to start a ticket as type
>> "comment" instead type "reply". We are using 4.0.0 and I haven't seen anything like this in
>> the changelog of 4.0.{1,2}.
>>
>> We have the following problem:
>>
>> Sometimes we open a new ticket (i.e. "New ticket in ..." button) *without* a Requestor on
>> the ticket, we then usually write an internal starting comment as ticket kick off. This text
>> which we want to be an internal comment is internally saved by RT as type "Reply".
>>
>> So if we later on add a Requestor to the ticket and give that requestor unpriviledged access
>> to the RT webinterface, he will be able to see the initial text which was supposed to be an
>> internal comment. So limiting the initial ticket opening process to the "reply" type seems to
>> be somewhat inflexible.
>>
>> Having the ability to pick in between "comment" and "reply" when opening a new ticket via
>> the webinterface would be very, very helpful.
>>
>> Until now we always create new tickets just with the text "Ticket creation", and then add a
>> comment. But this is very annoying.
>>
>> Is there just an option/right I have missed to set correctly?
>
> RT considers Create to be a correspondence (reply).  There's an extension, possibly not yet
> open sourced, to add a Comment box to the Create page so that while opening a ticket you can
> also leave an internal comment.
>
> -kevin

Hi Kevin,

thanks for pointing that out. I just noticed that Ruslan replied to me off-list, so we were
already talking about that.

He noted, that one might run into problems, when a ticket starts with something else than type
"Create". Do you think this is not an issue?

Another option, probably the best at the moment in order to fix already present tickets with
intended comments in the intitial ticket create, would be to copy the initial attachment of the
Create type into a new attachment and add a new transaction with the time of the Create
transaction +1 second. After that the initial create attachment could be cleared.
As far as I can see it works fine, because the transactions are sorted by timestamp and not by ID.
Is this something that might change in the future?

Lars