[rt-users] Upgrading 3.8.4 to 4.0.1 - Root password??

George_Holl jholl at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Thu Apr 19 09:15:56 EDT 2012

We have a fresh installation of RT 4.0.5. with imported data from a former
version.
I can login as root, but there are two issues:

1) When I logoff and I want to logon again, the root password is changed
to somewhat! Than I have to reset it.
I followed the instruction at:
" UPGRADING FROM 3.8.8 and earlier - Changes:
Previous versions of RT used a password hashing scheme which was too
easy to reverse, which could allow attackers with read access to the RT
database to possibly compromise users' passwords.  Even if RT does no
password authentication itself, it may still store these weak password
hashes -- using ExternalAuth does not guarantee that you are not
vulnerable!  To upgrade stored passwords to a stronger hash,
run:   perl etc/upgrade/vulnerable-passwords   "

I did that, but it didn't solve the issue.
Can you give me a hint?

2) Our system which is fresh installed:

Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Apache Version Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
Apache API Version 20051115

PHP Version 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.14
mysql, Client API version 5.1.61
RT 4.0.5

Data of the former version were imported in a mysql-database (that
worked).

When I try to create a new request, I get the error message:
"Anfrage konnte aufgrund eines internen Fehlers nicht angelegt werden"
(query couldn't be created because of an internal error).
The corresponding entry in the access-log is:
ip.ip.ip.ip - - [18/Apr/2012:08:21:14 +0200] "POST /index.html HTTP/1.1"
200 3736
What's the problem of the system?

Kind regards

 George