[rt-users] Mailserver on foreign system

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 6 06:47:34 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Anton Roth <Anton_Roth at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the mailserver for the RT system. Currently it
> is running on a dynamic IP, which has no MX records going with it, so I
> cannot get postfix to work on it.
>
> Now the question is, even if I get it to work, there is a good chance that a
> dial in server will be blocked, so I wonder if RT is capable of using a
> normal IMAP / SMTP combination to handle communications, and if so, is there
> documentation? (only thing I found was rt-mailgate, but that is not what I
> was looking for)

Use fetchmail to recieve mail from IMAP/POP box.

Use local MTA to process outgoing mail, but queue it up and use relaying via
"good" mail server.

RT can send mails via external SMTP host, but it's wrong to use and we consider
to drop this feature for good. RT is not a full featured MTA, so if
something goes
wrong while RT sends email via external SMTP server then mail is just dropped.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.