[rt-users] Ticket creation fails

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Wed Dec 19 09:21:30 EST 2012

On 12/19/2012 12:51 AM, Matthias Henze wrote:
> I use RT 4.0.7. on Debian Squeeze installed from Debian packages (I will
> not upgrade while there a no new Debian packages) and I use it with
> fetchmail. A customer sent an message  to me for which no ticket was
> created but the mail got flushed. I noticed this accidentally. This
> leads me to the conclusion that I can't trust on RT creating tickets
> from mails. The mail was sent by a recent Thunderbird on Windows XP.
>
> If ticket creation fails for any reason mails should NOT be flushed.

I suspect your problem with unsuccessful mail being flushed is
fetchmail, not RT.  Are you delivering directly to rt-mailgate from
fetchmail (using the mda option), or delivering to a real MTA like
postfix which then queues and handles delivery to rt-mailgate?  The
latter is unsafe, as documented in `man fetchmailrc`, and the former is
recommended.

> Here are my logs:
>
> Dec 19 09:35:15 server fetchmail[1498]: 1 message for support at
> mail.mhc.loc (84732 octets).
>
> ==> /var/log/syslog <==
> Dec 19 09:35:15 server RT: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: FEHLER:
> ungültige Byte-Sequenz für Kodierung »UTF8«: 0xc46e at

This edge case is handled better by a branch in RT that should be in the
next release.