[rt-users] rt-4.0.5 - How to populate a custom field using a web service?

Jeff Blaine jblaine at kickflop.net
Mon Feb 6 09:10:12 EST 2012

> On Feb 6, 2012, at 7:34 AM, Jim Lesinski<jim.lesinski at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe, that's good information but I am looking to be able to use
>> the web service to populate the autocomplete values for one
>> specific RT CustomField within RT. When you are setting up a custom
>> field the screen even says that you can use a web service to
>> populate the field's values, but I am not sure how to do that and I
>> cannot find documentation.
>>
>> Thanks, Jim Lesinski

Jim,

I believe you've misread the RT CustomField definition screen.
I've never used this feature before, but I read and interpret
it as follows:

It says (emphasis mine):

     RT can make this *custom field's values into hyperlinks to
     another service*. Fill in this field with a URL. RT will
     replace __id__ and __CustomField__ with the record's id
     and the custom field's value, respectively.

Let's say your CF is "Employee Number".

So, if you set "Link values to" as:

     http://service.example.com/lookup?empnum=__CustomField__

If I typed '430' into this CF as a value (as an end user),
it would show as a clickable link:

     http://service.example.com/lookup?empnum=430

Jeff Blaine