[rt-users] Problems with new users

Scott Pestana scott.pestana at linguamatics.com
Fri Feb 10 15:45:25 EST 2012

Hello RT Users,
     To preface, I've got several years experience and training with the
Linux platform and PERL, but I'm completely new to RT; I've done a few
web searches and a three or four different google searches of the email
archive and can't find any insight into our problem.

     We're having a strange problem with our users in our two RT
instances, that we think are related.  When our internal IT Support
instance of RT was created everything was working well for some time,
and we currently have RT configured to work with our LDAP database for
users and their credentials.  However, new users (new employees) trying
to use RT are not able to get the same functionality.

     For example: one user can send in emails to the RT queue and
proceed normally.  However if he tries to log in to the web version, the
RT system treats him like is associated with a different queue than the
rest of our users.  When he tried to create a ticket through the web RT
would create the ticket in this wrong queue, and he immediately got an
error that he did not have permissions to view his ticket.
      RT creates an internal user for him, unlike the rest of our
employees who don't show up in the user list because they exist in the
configured LDAP.  I disabled the (discontinued) queue, and edited the
user created form him to disassociate it from him (rename, re-email,
etc), and then had him try to log in again.  Again, RT created a user
with his name/credentials in its own SQL database instead of querying
LDAP, and associated his user with the now disabled queue.  He can no
longer create tickets because the queue is disabled, and I can't figure
out how to alter his account to associate him with the proper queue.

     Can anyone help me with this first problem?

--
N. Scott Pestana
IT Infrastructure