[rt-users] Problems with new users

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Feb 13 12:06:58 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 03:45:25PM -0500, Scott Pestana wrote:
>     For example: one user can send in emails to the RT queue and
> proceed normally.  However if he tries to log in to the web version,
> the RT system treats him like is associated with a different queue
> than the rest of our users.  When he tried to create a ticket
> through the web RT would create the ticket in this wrong queue, and
> he immediately got an error that he did not have permissions to view
> his ticket.

It'd be useful to see some sort of screenshot of what he's seeing.

>      RT creates an internal user for him, unlike the rest of our
> employees who don't show up in the user list because they exist in
> the configured LDAP.  I disabled the (discontinued) queue, and

As a heads up, RT *always* create an internal user, even for users
pulled from LDAP.

There is no password stored, but RT must have an internal user account,
otherwise the user can't be associated with tickets.

> edited the user created form him to disassociate it from him
> (rename, re-email, etc), and then had him try to log in again.
> Again, RT created a user with his name/credentials in its own SQL
> database instead of querying LDAP, and associated his user with the
> now disabled queue.  He can no longer create tickets because the
> queue is disabled, and I can't figure out how to alter his account
> to associate him with the proper queue.

As I mentioned on your other mail, debug level logs of what happens on
login are much more likely to show us what is going on than
descriptions of the problem.

I'll also note that your ExternalAuth config didn't allow for LDAP
auth, so I'm not sure what password your users are using.

-kevin