[rt-users] Adding Queue Custom Field To Email From Field

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Feb 21 10:40:39 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:20:53PM +0400, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:04, David Thorpe <david at whitestores.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Installed the latest production build of RT last week. Absolutely loving it
> > and it has increased productivity massively. In the queue settings, we use
> > the description field to describe the list in about a paragraph so that we
> > can list all queues and their use on our intranet. It appears that when
> > emails are sent out to people creating tickets, the FROM field contains this
> > description, we end up with a  long string of text that makes it hard to
> > understand who the email is from.
> >
> > My question is, I want to add a custom field into each Queue which isn't a
> > problem, this is done and is called my "Email From" field. I want this field
> > to appear as the From Field in emails to people when they submit a ticket.
> > But I want the current from ADDRESS to stay automatic as it does. Am I
> > missing something, is this simple to do?
>
> I don't see this in the code. RT doesn't put queue's description into
> email by default. Have you checked your templates?

Autoreply uses the Queue's Description (normal Correspond/Comment uses
the user's FriendlyName).

I'd actually love to see a refactoring of Autoreply.pm to call
Queue->FriendlyName like Notify calls User->FriendlyName which would
make this an easier override.

As to the original question, David, you'll need to tweak the Template
to say From: { $self->TicketObj->QueueObj->FirstCustomFieldValue() } {
code that checks the Queue's Correspond and Comment address and falls
back to the globally defined ones).

What are you using the Description for?  You might find it easier to
just switch that to be the name you want going out in emails.  The
only other place it should be used is in Self Service when picking a
Queue to create at ticket in.

-kevin