[rt-users] Installing ExtUtil::MakeMaker hangs

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Tue Feb 21 13:05:41 EST 2012

When using "make fixdeps", CPAN appears to hang on ExtUtil::MakeMaker.
 I know very little about CPAN and installing these things by hand.
I've seen some advise on the web about disabling a line of code and
then the compile works, but I don't know where to find the source code
to modify.  Nor do I know if this is even all that great of an idea.

What happens looks like this:

[...]
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN::Meta::Prereqs.3
Manifying blib/man3/Version::Requirements.3
Manifying blib/man3/File::Temp.3
Manifying blib/man3/CPAN::Meta::Validator.3
Manifying blib/man3/version.3
Manifying blib/man3/ExtUtils::MM_Any.3
  MSCHWERN/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.62.tar.gz
  /usr/bin/make -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/arch" "-Iblib/lib"
"-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib',
'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/00compile.t ............. ok
t/arch_check.t ............ ok
t/backwards.t ............. ok
t/basic.t ................. ok
t/build_man.t ............. ok
t/cd.t .................... ok
t/config.t ................ ok
t/dir_target.t ............ ok
t/FIRST_MAKEFILE.t ........ ok
t/fix_libs.t .............. ok
t/fixin.t ................. ok
t/hints.t ................. ok
t/INST.t .................. ok
t/INST_PREFIX.t ........... ok
t/INSTALL_BASE.t .......... 1/20

Then it hangs there indefinitely.  There is more data here:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=918598

Any advise?

Thanks,
Jaime