[rt-users] [warning]: We opened /dev/null to protect FD #1, but descriptor #1 is already occupied

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Sun Jan 8 07:06:32 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 18:08, Gerard FENELON <gerard at eve-team.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> since we migrated from 3.8.8 to 3.8.11, I see the following warning in the
> logs:
>
> [warning]: We opened /dev/null to protect FD #1, but descriptor #1 is
> already occupied at /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl line 79
>
> It appeared 175 times since last Sunday.

[snip]

> Should I worry about it ?

Yes, you should. You can experience hardly explainable problems
because of this situation. Effect depends on what gets FD #1. If it's
database then in some situations RT can loose connection to the DB
right in the middle of processing user's request.

> Can I do something to avoid getting this warning ?

One of the following:
1) upgrade mod_perl to 2.0.5
2) use "SetHandler modperl" instead of "SetHandler perl-script". This
change may require additional options. See the following link for
differences and how to compensate them with additional options:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_SetHandler_

3) Use FCGI

--
Best regards, Ruslan.