[rt-users] duplicated RT reply

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Sun Jan 8 12:34:21 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 09:41, Thomas Lau <Thomas.Lau at principleone.com> wrote:
> Guys, we have some problem with duplicated ticket reply:
>
> here is how we reproduce problem:
>
> Situation 1, no duplicated reply:
> 1. User A created new ticket without CC anyone within the email send to helpdesk at domain.com
> 2. when User A reply same ticket by email (which reply to helpdesk at domain.com), he could CC anyone he wants and the ticket itself didn't put those "CC" peoples into record
>

> Situation 2, duplicated reply:
> 1. User B created new ticket with CC Thomas at domain.com within the email send to helpdesk at domain.com
> 2. when User B reply same ticket by email (which reply to helpdesk at domain.com), he CC Thomas at domain.com on the reply email
> 3. as because the first ticket creation, CC to Thomas at domain.com being recorded into ticket, RT will send first email base on CC list itself, which contain Thomas at domain.com ; Then as User B also CC to Thomas at domain.com on the reply.
>

> that means Thomas is receiving two emails, first is from RT, second is from User B CC. One from RT with from "User B via RT", and another one is from "User B"
>

> how do you guys avoid this kind of email duplication? Thanks.

If you use ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs then you should train your
users not to use reply all feature in MUAs as every user who was cced
in the original mail will be notified with his follow up. If users use
direct mail only replying to sender and message will go behind RT. In
this case you loose track of the conversation.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.