[rt-users] Look for Existing ticket based on external RT Subject Tag

Howard Jones howard.jones at network-i.net
Fri Jul 6 06:15:43 EDT 2012

On 05/07/2012 16:37, Joseph Moles wrote:
> I'm running RT 4, and we have a external service provider that has
> their own RT system.  When they create a ticket to us, their RT sends
> the notification to the email address associated with our RT.  The
> problem is that their process is to send a notification on create,
> then send a message immediately after with the details.  This
> generates two tickets in system.  Has any one written or modified one
> of the scrips to look for an existing ticket with the subject tag from
> an external RT system, before creating a new ticket.  Basically
> implement the similar logic that is used for internal subject tag, but
> basically same IF (Ticket with External Tag Exists) -> Update Ticket;
> Else Create new ticket.

Here's something we used to use to do this - it does create the second
ticket, but then immediately merges it into the first one. I think I got
it from elsewhere originally (which is why it mention Nagios in the
comments). It looks for certain subject line patterns, then finds
existing tickets with a matching subject line - in this case, it's
Smokeping alerts, which tend to come in flurries.

Combine with something to suppress auto-replies to mail from your
supplier's RT system :-)

Scrip Condition: On Create
Action: User Defined
Template: Blank

Action Prep Code:

1;

Action Code:

# If the subject of the ticket matches a pattern suggesting
# that this is a SmokePing Alert message  AND there is
# an existing ticket (open or new) in the "General" queue with a matching
# Subject, (that is not this ticket) merge this ticket into that ticket

my $problem_desc = undef;

my $Transaction = $self->TransactionObj;
my $subject = $Transaction->Attachments->First->GetHeader('Subject');
if ($subject =~ /\[SmokeAlert\](.*)/) {
    # This looks like a SmokeAlert message
    $problem_desc = $2;

    $RT::Logger->debug("Found a smokealert msg: $problem_desc");
} else {
    return 1;
}

# Ok, now let's merge this ticket with it's PROBLEM msg.
my $search = RT::Tickets->new($RT::SystemUser);
$search->LimitQueue(VALUE => 'General');
$search->LimitStatus(VALUE => 'new', OPERATOR => '=', ENTRYAGGREGATOR =>
'or');
$search->LimitStatus(VALUE => 'open', OPERATOR => '=');

if ($search->Count == 0) { return 1; }
my $id = undef;
while (my $ticket = $search->Next) {
    # Ignore the ticket that opened this transation (the recovery one...)
    next if $self->TicketObj->Id == $ticket->Id;
    # Look for nagios PROBLEM warning messages...
    if ( $ticket->Subject eq $subject) {
            $id = $ticket->Id;
            $RT::Logger->debug("Merging ticket " . $self->TicketObj->Id
. " into $id because of subject match.");
            $self->TicketObj->MergeInto($id);
    }
}

$id || return 1;

1;

> --
> It is all fun and games till flying monkeys attack
Ain't that the truth :-)

--
Howard Jones UK Datacentre NOC Team Virtustream, Inc. 227 Berwick Avenue
(0) 208.230.2101 howard.jones at virtustream.com | www.virtustream.com