[rt-users] Why use CFs on transations vs. tickets

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Fri Jun 15 14:17:56 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org> wrote:
> Am I missing something?  Is there a way to use CFs on the

It was never intention to add transaction custom fields just to place
custom fields on update page. Transactions' custom fields are there so
you can categorize particular replies/comments.

For example you can add a freeform CF that is only visible to staff
member where they can describe two pages of crap in the correspond
using oneliner for others to understand what's going on.

I don't have an example that makes TxnCFs shine for real.

> Comment/Reply/Resolve page and have them apply to the ticket level?

Yes, with custom patches and extensions. Solutions on the wiki for
ages. http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/EditCustomFieldsOnUpdate

I rarely wish to enter a CF value while replying. Some people want all
of them, some people want custom set, some people want to make
"Resolution" custom field to be defined if person changes status to
"resolved". You see variants.

Out of the box RT has Jumbo page. Use it instead of reply/comment or
customize with extensions or callbacks.

> Is there away to search based on the contents of CFs that are on a
> transaction level?

I believe there is a branch for this in the repo.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.