[rt-users] GD and GraphViz - Need both? Can't build source.

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 22 13:41:26 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:27:02PM -0400, Cena, Stephen (ext. 300) wrote:
> I followed the instructions on graphviz.org for adding the repository
> for CENT and installed GraphViz that way. On Ubuntu, no matter what
> .debs I try to install I just keep coming up with more dependencies.
> From  the work I have done I can say I've had a lot more trouble getting
> RT installed from source on Ubuntu than CENT.  I'm also working on
> documenting the process to do an install in either case, as the wiki
> information is out of date/inaccurate and the book does nothing to help.
> I've read the README for the install but it doesn't help when the
> libraries it depends on don't work.  I'm trying to not have to compile
> any more than I have to.  We're potentially looking at bringing 6 RT
> systems online here. The only reason we're running one now is Ubuntu had
> the .deb available and "it just worked".

I don't think you've included the actual failure in either of your
posts

I've always been able to find the gd-devel, graphviz and expat-devel
packages on Ubuntu (and in fact, gd-devel is right in the docs). With
CentOS6 you can now get all of those easily also (on CentOS 5 you
needed to use the graphviz yum repos).

To answer the original question from this thread:

GD provides Charts for search results.
GraphViz provides dependency graphs for linked tickets.
Your managers will absolutely want GD, GraphViz isn't as necessary
unless you have intricate ticket structures and want a visualization.

> One side note; while at the training in Boston I asked (half jokingly)
> if RT would run on IIS. I was told flat out "no, it will not". Yet on
> the RT website: http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/InstallationGuides

That is not the RT website.  The RT website is http://bestpractical.com/rt/
You're reading the Wiki, which contains many end-user contributions. The
page you link to clearly states at the top that these install guides are
out of date and unofficial and that we recommend the README.

-kevin