[rt-users] Extensions

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Wed Mar 28 12:59:47 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Kevin Falcone
<falcone at bestpractical.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:58:03AM -0400, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> >    Is there any documentation somewhere on how to package up the
> extensions - not how to write
> >    them, but how to do the other stuff like the Makefile.PL and META.yml
> so that it installs. I
> >    tried just copying the Makefile.PL and MANIFEST and META.yml from
> another project, but my html
> >    files didn't copy over. (I'm just starting the project, so all I have
> to install is some html
> >    mock-ups.)
>
> Several of us use Dist-Zilla-MintingProfile-RTx which will generate
> a Makefile.PL and some other boring parts of RT extensions. You also
> need Module-Install-RTx on your development box so that the pieces
> of the extension that know where to put files for RT are included in
> the tarball.

Ok, I installed Dist-Zilla-MintingProfile-RTx using "perl -MCPAN -e shell",
and it dragged in about a zillion required modules.  Now the dzil.org page
says that I use "dzil new" to create a new directory to get started, and I
just need to do "dzil  new RTx::FooBar", but I get a bunch of warnings:
dzil new   RTx::CareFirst
[DZ] making target dir
/home/ptomblin/src/rt-extension-carefirst/RTx-CareFirst
[DZ] writing files to
/home/ptomblin/src/rt-extension-carefirst/RTx-CareFirst
[DZ] guessing dist's main_module is lib/RTx/CareFirst.pm
[DZ] no license data in config, no %Rights stash, couldn't make a good
guess at license from Pod; giving up
[DZ] no license data in config, no %Rights stash, couldn't make a good
guess at license from Pod; giving up at
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.4/Moose/Meta/Method/Delegation.pm line 110

and then it creates a directory RTx-FooBar, and in that an empty dist.ini
file and skeleton lib/RTx/FooBar.pm.  I couldn't find any documentation on
how to generate this "%Rights stash" or config.

So instead I tried following the manual page on
http://search.cpan.org/~falcone/Dist-Zilla-MintingProfile-RTx-0.05/lib/Dist/Zilla/MintingProfile/RTx.pmand
so I tried
"dzil new -P RTx RTx::FooBar" and instead I got even more errors and
warnings:
[DZ] making target dir /home/ptomblin/src/rt-extension-carefirst/RTx-FooBar
[DZ] Unable to find main_module in the distribution
[DZ] We tried to guess 'lib/RTx/FooBar.pm' but no file like that existed
[DZ] Upon further inspection we didn't find any files in your dist, did you
add any?
[DZ] Cannot continue without a main_module
[DZ] No %User stash and no copyright holder; can't determine dist author;
configure author or a %User section
[DZ] No %User stash and no copyright holder; can't determine dist author;
configure author or a %User section at
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.4/Moose/Meta/Method/Delegation.pm line 110

and this time the RTx-FooBar directory is empty.  I feel like I'm trying to
learn how to swim, and I keep getting thrown into the shark tank.  Can
somebody please point me towards the shallow (non shark infested) end?

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paultomblin
http://careers.stackoverflow.com/ptomblin