[rt-users] Require owner before update

Bill Cole rtusers-20090205 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri May 18 11:45:45 EDT 2012

On 18 May 2012, at 7:49, Mayk Backus wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm searching the list but can't find anything usefull for now. At our
> site, a lot of agents lack becoming owner of tickets.  I want them to
> take a ticket first and then start working on it. Is there a way to
> force this that the must be an owner set ?

One way to enforce this operationally without getting agents to change
work habits is a Scrip that assigns ownership to a user who updates a
ticket owned by "Nobody". Using Scrips to automate work rules rather
than Rights settings allows for more complex and nuanced rules,
particularly ones that you might want agents to be able to reverse by a
conscious choice. For example, the RT instance I wrangle has a Scrip
that runs when a ticket is resolved that gives ownership of "Nobody"
tickets to the person who is resolving the ticket. This has the useful
side-effect of making sure Requestors don't get notification of
resolution without a specific responsible human identified. Agents can
still specifically go back and disown a ticket they've been given by
that Scrip, but that would be a distinct transaction they have to do
intentionally.

On the other hand, fine-tuning Rights provides agents with UI clues
about the proper workflow, provided they have been trained well.