[rt-users] reduce duplicate emails to ccadmin when owner

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu May 24 11:34:40 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:24:06AM -0400, Gilbert Rebeiro wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I never got anyone's feedback on this situation.
> I would really appreciate someone else's experience to provide a
> solution to this user.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gilbert.
>
> On 10/04/2012 6:58 AM, Gilbert Rebeiro wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We are using RT 4.0.0 all is working well.
> >
> >We have a couple of users that are ccadmins to several queues.
> >
> >They are obviously getting bombarded with emails.
> >
> >They can't differentiate the ones they receive because they are
> >cc:admins.
> >
> >They really need to see the ones that there has been a reply or
> >comments, the changes of status or queues are less important.
> >
> >They really need to know when they are assigned a ticket or they
> >are the owner and something happens to the ticket.
> >
> >They want 2 email addresses - one for the ccadmin stuff and one
> >for their user.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks
> >GIlbert.

Hi Gilbert,

It sounds a little bit like "I want to see everything..." and then
when they see everything, "...not that though". Maybe the scrips for
AdminCc's need to be adjusted to stop sending minutiae, just the
important updates. From personal experience, if you do not make this
adjustment, you end up having people file the Email in a folder
without looking at it and you lose all of the advantages of the Email
notification process. That being said, I have not looked at the code
for RT or the scrips, but if your mail server supports plus addressing
(+xxx) you could have RT send the mail to user+xxx at yyy.com and file
it based on that. It really does seem like more of a evaluate your
requirements and implement them and not the fire-hose approach that
queue AdminCc gives. Good luck. It is a thorny problem that we are
wrestling with as well.

Regards,
Ken