[rt-users] Incorrect version when building from git repository

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Sun Oct 7 21:52:57 EDT 2012

On 10/07/2012 05:52 PM, John Kelsh wrote:
>> Github's tarballs are exports of git tags, no more, but that's not our
>> release process and they aren't actual releases.  Unfortunately Github
>> doesn't let you disable the Download section, which is terribly
>> frustrating.  Don't use the Github tarballs.
>
> Ok, so if tags don't relate to releases, how can I obtain a specific release from github?

Tags *do* relate to releases, but not quite everything in a release is
in git.  Some of it is still generated at release-time and only included
in the official tarballs (obviously github can't include it!).  Checking
out the git tag will still get you the code for that release, which you
can run (see below).

> Currently I do this:
>
> git clone git://github.com/bestpractical/rt.git /opt/rt4
> cd /opt/rt4
> git checkout rt-4.0.7
> ./configure.ac
> rm -rf autom4te.cache
> ./configure --enable-layout=inplace  --enable-gd  --with-db-type=Pg
> make testdeps
> make install
> apachectl restart
>
> Any advice appreciated.

That looks mostly fine.  An important change I'd recommend is checking
out rt.git somewhere other than /opt/rt4 (/usr/local/src/rt maybe) and
installing into /opt/rt4 instead of using the inplace layout.  This lets
you track the official rt.git repo separately from your deployment, as
well as keeping your specific deployment (configuration, etc) in it's
own local git repo.

What I describe is more or less how we manage our RT installations at
Best Practical.