[rt-users] postgres 9.2.1, RT 4.0.5 - RT couldn't connect to database

Mike James mjames at profitpoint.com
Tue Oct 16 16:55:41 EDT 2012

Fresh install of Centos 6.3, fully patched. Added the postgresql repo and installed posgresql-9.2.1. RT 4.0.5 is config'd and looks ready to go. Just one last problem...

If I start the standalone rt-server (/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server -port 8080), I can connect to RT and login as root without a problem. However, apache fails to start with the following error:

[root at tracker rt4]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: DBI connect('dbname=rt4;host=localhost','rt_user',...) failed: could not connect to server: Permission denied
       Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
       TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
could not connect to server: Permission denied
       Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
       TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at /usr/local/share/perl5/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 103.

RT couldn't connect to the database where tickets are stored.
If this is a new installation of RT, you should visit the URL below
to configure RT and initialize your database.

If this is an existing RT installation, this may indicate a database
connectivity problem.

The error RT got back when trying to connect to your database was:

Connect Failed could not connect to server: Permission denied
       Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
       TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
could not connect to server: Permission denied
       Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting
       TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
at /opt/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT.pm line 165.

/var/lib/postgresql-9.2/data/pg_hba.conf has the following line:
host    all    all    127.0.0.1/32    md5

/var/lib/postgresql-9.2/data/postgresql.conf has the following lines:
listen_addresses = '*'
port = 5432

The database rt4 exists, rt_user database password is matches the one in RT_SiteConfig.pm

What have I overlooked in the httpd config? I can get the basic "It's running" page but that's it. It's puzzling to me that the standalone server works but apache doesn't.

Thanks,
Mike