[rt-users] Error When Upgrade-Database from 3.8.1 to 3.8.2

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Oct 24 22:58:21 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 05:13:57PM -0400, Cynthia Roe wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrade our RT environment from 3.2.2 to 4.0.7.
> So far I have been able to upgrade successfully from 3.2.2 to 3.8.1.
> However, when I run the $ make upgrade-database from 3.8.1 to 3.8.2 I
> received the following error:

Is there a particular reason that you're going one upgrade at a time?
We wrote the make upgrade-database command to make running them all
much easier than it ever was in older versions.

In this case, the problem is that RT's code expects the ACL table to
have a Creator field, but the 3.8.2 upgrade is run before the schema
change.  We actually have code to handle this and if you let it just
run from 3.8.1 -> 4.0.6 instead of taking single steps, it will
complete correctly.

There's a bug that it only looks for our special "backcompat" file in
the versions of the upgrade you specified, and we should fix that, but
I'm not sure why you're running the upgrade in single steps instead of
just letting it go and only revisiting it if something fails?

I've filed a bug about this
http://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=21317

-kevin