[rt-users] Who is the owner.

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 04:25:55 EDT 2012

On 11/09/2012 21:05, Mike Johnson wrote:
> In our case, the person that does the work, and the person that resolves
> the ticket are the same people, and they are the owner.
>
> However, if you require having multiple owners of "work" for a single
> "request", you could always create children tickets of the original request.
>
> That way, the person responsible for solving the ticket, can review all
> work that is being done on the ticket by looking at the children. That
> person can also see who "owns" the children ticket to know who to
> contact if something is taking too long to solve.

I agree that this is a good way to do it, especially if you have
management who want ticket resolution time performance metrics and so
on, because if you do it the other way (each person works on their part
of the ticket, and then passes the ticket on to the next person to do
this bit) your metrics get a bit messed up; it's hard to determine who
actually did the majority of the work, or took the majority of the time,
and the person who gets "credit" for resolving the ticket is whoever
worked on it and owned it last, which quite often isn't sensible.

Child tickets for each person's sub-task are much more amenable to
getting such knowledge out later.  It *is* more work though, and a lot
of my users don't follow this method; we have more than 100 queues, for
very different purposes, and I don't impose any particular workflow on
anyone.

I find the SpawnLinkedTicketInQueue extension helps.

Tim