[rt-users] How change link labels

Ken Johnson kjohnson at eclypse.org
Wed Apr 24 14:54:58 EDT 2013

Mike,

Thanks for your helpful reply.  You inspired me to go grepping, and it turns
out that adding these four lines to en.po 'fixed' the 'problem'.  The
strings change both in the link labels at the top right of the ticket
history and in the Actions menu.

msgid "Reply"
msgstr "Public Reply"
msgid "Comment"
msgstr "Private Comment"

Would the 'clean' way to do this be to create a custom language (say
'English_Local') and then set all of the users to that language?  I am not
sure.

Ken

________________________________

Ken,

I did something of the sort when a user here said that a particular wording
was not indicative of its meaning (basically, he did not like to see "Input
must match [Mandatory]").  For our case, I modified our installation as
follows:

Copied:

share/html/Elements/ValidateCustomFields

local/html/Elements/ValidateCustomFields

Changed Line:
my $msg = loc("Input must match [_1]", $CF->FriendlyPattern);

New Line:
my $msg = loc("Field must match rule: [_1]", $CF->FriendlyPattern);

I see the "message" you are referring to in
/opt/rt3/share/html/m/_elements/ticket_menu.  Editing the element for your
local installation may or may not be the most portable and maintainable way,
but it worked for our site and nobody was harmed.  Since your similar
situation has come up, I would be interested to find out what the usual or
best practice is for site-specific wording.  It's clearly a matter of
preference for our site, and the message in question does not appear
elsewhere (AFAIK), so I left it at that, but perhaps updating local/po/en.po
will turn out to be the recommended way.  Some information about updating
translations is here -> http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/Translation.

Best,

Mike