[rt-users] Differentiating while sending notifictions

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Aug 1 12:21:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 11:18:18AM +0200, Robert Wysocki wrote:
> Dnia 2013-07-31, śro o godzinie 12:10 -0400, Kevin Falcone pisze:
> > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 02:03:57PM +0200, Robert Wysocki wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a way to differentiate between external (mainly
> > > customers) and internal users (emplyees) while sending notifications.
> > >
> > > From what I figured out this cannot be done within the template itself.
> > > Should I write custom code and plug it in with some callback or is there
> > > any other way?
> >
> > Often people do this by having AdminCcs be internal and Requestors/Ccs
> > be external.  This way they naturally use two separate Templates.
>
> This would be a nice solutions except not everybody likes to receive
> tons of comments as AdminCc.

You can tune what Scrips run, although if some people do and some
people don't, it's difficult.

> > If you tell us more specifically what you're trying to accomplish,
> > someone might be able to suggest a solution.
>
> Our RT web interface is used mainly locally. We have links included in
> templates, but external users usually don't have credentials to log in
> into web interface, so links just confuse them.
> We'd like to split templates so that only those with access get links
> and others don't.

Unfortunately, RT uses one template to generate all the mail to all
the Requestors, so you can't solve this with templates.

One way to solve this is having some custom notification actions
(perhaps with rt-email-group-admin to notify some internal users
separately from the others).

The only real solution is likely to have some sort of
Notify Privileged Users vs Notify Unprivileged Users Scrip Actions
that subclass the Notify action and override which Requestors are
picked.  It'll be weird because half the Requestors would be notified
in a clump and then the others would be notified.
Or to convert RT to sending one email per user.

-kevin