[rt-users] nginx / varnish / apache with RT?

Chris Herrmann chrisherrmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 07:04:25 EDT 2013

Hi all,

i've been playing with an NVA setup for some lamp sites (Joomla) and the
scaling is looking pretty amazing... still early days but initial results
look very promising.

anyway, it got me thinking to whether varnish would work with RT. I'm
familiar enough with it to understand the generic accelerator principle ...
but I don't see how it would work with generated content - because of RT
handles sessions / authentication / etc. Or is it smart enough to know that
if I visit the same ticket twice in a row and the ticket hasn't changed, to
give me cached content?

I've tried searching for "perl varnish" and "request tracker varnish" type
pages but have only found one archive thread
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/72455 which appears
inconclusive - does it actually make a noticeable difference or not?
Internally we're using a squid proxy, and we have a small number of users,
so not sure that the static page elements being handled by varnish or nginx
would offer a huge advantage? anyway keen to hear people's experiences or
other thoughts on accelerating RT...

Cheers,

Chris