[rt-users] how to make updates to already existing tickets or records reflected into indexes quickly

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Mon Feb 4 12:03:06 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 10:28:23PM +0530, Subin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to Arkadiusz Miskiewicz for sharing his knowledge here:
>
> http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2011-August/072464.html
>
> My question is based exactly on this config which I find is good.
>
> "As per my understanding" the 'delta' index makes newly created
> rows/records available by using 'SphinxCounters' table. That is
> the delta index which will be run every 15 minutes will check if
> any row which has 'id' greater than the 'id' stored previously
> in 'max_doc_id' column of 'SphinxCounters' table. If greater
> then it will read the source and then add the new record to the
> 'delta' index.
>

> If an edit/update happens to an *"existing"* ticket/document/row in
> the source database, how will this change get updated into indexes
> quickly? So according to this config, we will need to wait until
> the next time the 'main' is reindexed again, right? If true how
> can we have a workaround for this problem?
>
> Please excuse and let me know if I made any wrong assumptions
> here.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Subin,

That is how the Sphinx full-text indexing works. You would need to
change to a different DB backend with integrated support for fulltext
indexing. PostgreSQL and Oracle will both work. Eventually, when MySQL
supports full-text indexing with InnoDB natively, RT can be made to
use it as well.

Regards,
Ken