[rt-users] Ignoring out of office emails

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Jan 18 20:55:05 EST 2013

On 01/15/2013 03:26 PM, Brent Wiese wrote:
> I have a powershell script that emails users (using the System.Net.Mail
> class) and the “From” address is set to our RT system, making it easier
> for users to get help if needed.
>
> The problem is, people’s out-of-office responses are opening tickets.
>
> I added the “Precendence: bulk” header after checking through the RT
> lists as it looks like (at least in rt 3.x) it would filter those emails
> out and not interact with tickets. But it’s not working.
>
> Is this no longer the case in RT4? Or does it not apply to ticket
> creation? I can see the Precendence: bulk header being added in the
> original email.
>
> I was hoping to not have to modify RT/procmail, but I can go that route.

The Precedence: bulk header you set is on your outgoing mail, but such
headers don't get automatically copied back into any replies.  Outlook
really shouldn't be autoresponding to mail with that Precedence header
though.  There may be magic Outlook headers documented somewhere that
will prevent and autoreply, and that would be the simplest solution.
(It may also be an option in the Exchange server.)

Also, to clarify RT's behaviour: if RT _receives_ email with a
back to the sender, but it still proceeds with any actions like ticket
creation, etc.  It doesn't just drop the mail.

procmail would be an easy place to filter these out before they hit RT
if you can't find the magic header to set for Outlook/Exchange (if any
exists).

Best of luck,
Thomas