[rt-users] Odd number of elements in anonymous hash error

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Sun Jan 27 12:18:01 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:19:17AM -0500, Tim Dunphy wrote:
>    I've been noticing that my RT web server has been running out of memory very rapidly lately.
>    And when I restart the web server I see this strange RT related message:
>    [monitor03:~] root% apachectl -t
>    Odd number of elements in anonymous hash at /usr/local/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Config.pm line 1055.
>    Odd number of elements in hash assignment at /usr/local/rt4/sbin/../lib/RT/Config.pm line
>    1056.
>    Syntax OK

This implies that something in RT_SiteConfig.pm is specified
incorrectly.  You say you set up GnuPG which uses hashes.  I'd check
that setup carefully, or show it to the list.

>    But then I turn the web server back on and its fine for a few minutes. But then RT's
>    performance slows to a crawl and I notice that the web server only has 10 MB free.
>    This is what I see in the RT apache error log:

To diagnose something like this you need to say a lot more about your
setup.  Is this the webserver and dbserver or only the webserver?
What deployment option are you using (mod_perl, fcgi, something else)?
How large is each individual apache child, is there one huge one or
are they all large?  Assuming a webserver only with apache, you may
need to tell Apache to only start a few children, and limit the max
children so that it can't grow unbounded.

-kevin