[rt-users] GPG users with multiple keys

Christopher Costa christopher.costa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:45:17 EDT 2013

Hello,

So, I've done a manual import of some user's public keys, and am then
sending GPG encrypted RT mail to these users.  One of these users happens
to have 2 public keys in the keyring, which I don't think should be a
problem.  This seems to work fine in some cases, for instance if I comment
on a ticket, and add him as a One-time Cc or One-time Bcc the encrypted
email goes through.  I am not entirely sure how RT is selecting the key to
use, since a "preferred" key hasn't been established, but nevertheless it
works fine.

It's different for tickets where he is an AdminCc watcher of the queue.
When I comment on one of those tickets, RT will want send to him an email
by default.  In this case, it returns an error that reads:

"You are going to encrypt outgoing email messages, but there is a problem
with a recipient's public key. You have to fix the problem with the key,
disable sending a message to that recipient, or disable encryption.

User XXXXXXXX has a problem. There are several keys suitable for encryption.
Select a key you want to use for encryption:"

It shows me a select box that lists his 2 keys.  However, no matter which
one I select, it always returns me right back to this same error message.
This is the same user that works just fine as a One-time email recipient in
other queues.   If I delete one of his keys from the keyring, the email
then works fine.  Users that have a single public key aren't showing any
errors, even when they are queue AdminCc.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

-Chris