[rt-users] Question regarding full text indexing with Postgresql

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Mar 6 12:49:46 EST 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 05:31:35PM +0000, Gary Mason wrote:
> I have a question that needs an answer before I implement full text
> indexing on our new RT4 installation.
>
> Will Postgresql index just text, or does it try to index attachments
> as well ?  I only want text from tickets to be indexed ideally.
>
> I intend to follow the instructions on the wiki page:
> http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/4.0/full_text_indexing.html

The Pg code pulls text/plain and text/html attachments with some magic
to avoid double-indexing emails where the text/html is an
'alternative' of the text.

If you have large attachments with a Content-Type of text/plain it will
try to index them, although there are some limits to avoid blowing the

-kevin