[rt-users] Time entries as separate transaction type

Maciej Dobrzanski reg.bestpractical at posterus.com
Thu Mar 14 04:26:45 EDT 2013

Hello,

So far we have been using short comments with Time Worked to record time in
RT, but that is not very convenient as time records are being e-mailed to
everyone just like any other comments. I am thinking of separating most time
entries into their own transaction type to keep them inside RT only, but
that would also allow us to do better reporting.

I created two simple overlay files to implement the very basic functionality
including SeeTimeEntry privilege:

https://gist.github.com/mushak/720ec19d7623ed16ac1c Transaction_Overlay.pm
https://gist.github.com/mushak/78e85a8795dd362f4e0a Queue_Overlay.pm

Is this a correct way of approaching this problem?
Can I encounter any issues during upgrades after adding new transaction
types?

I also created a sample transaction using the following code:

my $Transaction = RT::Transaction->new($RT::SystemUser);
my ( $id, $msg ) = $Transaction->Create(
        Ticket         => $Ticket->Id,
        Type           => 'TimeEntry',
        TimeTaken      => 13,
        ActivateScrips => 0
);

The transaction now appears in the ticket's history, but the ticket's time
worked was not updated. What else do I need to do to have that updated as
well?

Best regards,
Maciek