[rt-users] Time entries as separate transaction type

Maciej Dobrzanski reg.bestpractical at posterus.com
Mon Mar 18 15:57:50 EDT 2013

Thomas,

> This already exists in core RT.  On the Comment page, simply enter time worked without
> any message and click the "Update Ticket" button.

Thanks. I know this exists, but I'm thinking of further extending this functionality later which would for example result in storing serialized structure rather than just text in such transactions. Using plain comments would mean all that information would be shown in ticket history and that would become nothing but noise. I would also like to be able to show all time entries to customers, but not necessarily all comments. So I am wondering whether my approach for adding/using custom transaction type is correct or what are the risks of doing that. I'm asking this because of the following comment in Transaction.pm:

# {{{ sub Create

=head2 Create

Create a new transaction.

This routine should _never_ be called by anything other than RT::Ticket.
It should not be called
from client code. Ever. Not ever.  If you do this, we will hunt you down and break your kneecaps.

Maciek