[rt-users] Cannot Create user with LDAP Overlay

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Wed May 1 21:32:01 EDT 2013

On 05/01/2013 12:59 PM, Camron W. Fox wrote:
> Alle,
>
> 	Even thought the privileges for Everyone and Unprivileged are set to
> CreateTicket and ReplyToTicket, we get these errors when send from an
> external user:
>
> User creation failed in mailgateway: Name in use
>
> User  'camron.fox at example.com' could not be loaded in the mail gateway
>
> RT could not load a valid user, and RT's configuration does not allow
> for the creation of a new user for your email.
>
> 	How do we allow this when using the LDAP overlay? I've googled for this
> but found only answers for 3.X and we're running 4.0.10.

What "LDAP overlay" are you using on 4.0.10?  Usually that phrase refers
to an ancient 3.6-era overlay that was pretty hacky.

On a modern RT, you should be using REMOTE_USER auth ($WebExternalAuth)
or RT::Authen::ExternalAuth (+ RT::Extension::LDAPImport).

If you're using RT::Authen::ExternalAuth, look into the
$AutoCreateNonExternalUsers option it provides.