[rt-users] Problem with multple new tickets on same subject

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Thu May 9 16:03:00 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Mª Eugenia Moreno <meugeniamg at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am not sure if there is any solution to this. I have been digging
> everywhere for information but I couldn't find any solution.
>
> I am currently using RT 4 as the ticketing system in my company. Below is
> the scenario:
>
> Colleague A emails to the RT’s email and include Colleague B in the loop
> as Cc.
>
> RT create new ticket (#1 New Test Ticket) and send auto reply email
> to Colleague A with Ticket ID.
>
> Colleague B ”reply all”  on the original email sent by Colleague A  thus
> creating another ticket on RT (#2 RE: New Test Ticket).
>
> Is there a way to recognize the subject text instead of the ticket ID to
> avoid the creation of a new ticket? The ideal situation would be to add B
> email to the same ticket of A email instead of creating a new ticket. At
> the moment I am doing manually, I go to RT interface and link ticket #2 to
> ticket #1.
>
> I would be very grateful if someone could help.

Besides Ken's suggestion you may want to enable
ParseNewMessagesForTicketCcs and train your users not to use "reply all"
and always reply to RT's messages.

Other solution is to use CommandByMail and teach users to add Ccs using
commands instead of Ccs in mail client. Using this way people don't get
mails from people, but from RT only.

Also, you can setup wider notifications when tickets are created, for
example "On create notify group X with template 'New Ticket' ". This
template may contain link to make recipient Cc watcher.

Otherwise it is almost impossible to fix keeping the way your users use RT.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.