[rt-users] Problem with multple new tickets on same subject

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Thu May 9 17:21:46 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Thomas Sibley <trs at bestpractical.com>wrote:

> On 05/09/2013 10:52 AM, Jok Thuau wrote:
> > Has anyone from best practical considered integrating these patches in
> the
> > source? (seems quite harmless from where I stand)
> >
> > Would one just fork the github repo and submit a pull request from there?
>
> This suggestion comes up once in a while, and there's been lengthy
> discussion about it in the past on rt-users.  There are good reasons not
> to use References: or subject matching heuristics all the time; it boils
> down to common use cases which easily generate false positives
> (associating email with an existing ticket instead of creating a new
> one).  False positives are potentially much worse from a
> privacy/security/information leak standpoint than false negatives.
> Probably it should be configurable for sites which accept the pitfalls
> of using References:.
>
> It's too late to consider for RT 4.2, but maybe 4.4.

With new API, that is showed off in RepliesToResolved [1], it is very easy
to write this functionality as very clean and portable extension. Such
extension will work without patches with 4.0.8+ and most probably 4.2. With
small patches mentioned in the extension this will work in 4.0.0+.

I think extension instead of patches is good way to move forward rather
then try to push it into 4.2 core.

[1]
http://search.cpan.org/~falcone/RT-Extension-RepliesToResolved-0.02/lib/RT/Extension/RepliesToResolved.pm

--