[rt-users] database upgrade

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Wed Nov 13 12:37:57 EST 2013

I asked:

 > RT 3.8.7 uses the database rt3; RT 4.2.0 uses rt4. As near as I can
 > tell, the upgrade script is essentially creating an empty database and
 > hasn't made any modifications at all to rt3. Is this expected? Should
 > the database content be copied from rt3 to rt4 before all the schema
 > changes or after? What does that copy?

Christian Loos replied:

> You should really read all the upgrading documentation.
> Your point is described here:
> <http://www.bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/UPGRADING-4.0.html#Common-issues>

Thank you. But don't you find it astounding that there is no mention of
this requirement in the main upgrading document? It's not as though this
is an "issue"; it is a fundamental step in the upgrade process. I think
I was justified in presuming that the main document specified /all/ the
necessary upgrade steps. But it turns out that it completely omits any
mention of renaming or reloading the database, instead reminding me
repeatedly to backup my database. That surely can be taken to imply that
the upgrade will alter the database. If the upgrade is not going to do
anything to the database, a backup is of less value.
--
Dave Close, Thales Avionics, Irvine California USA.
cell +1 949 394 2124, dave.close at us.thalesgroup.com