[rt-users] database upgrade

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Nov 13 13:43:33 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 09:37:57AM -0800, CLOSE Dave wrote:
> Thank you. But don't you find it astounding that there is no mention of
> this requirement in the main upgrading document? It's not as though this
> is an "issue"; it is a fundamental step in the upgrade process. I think
> I was justified in presuming that the main document specified /all/ the
> necessary upgrade steps. But it turns out that it completely omits any
> mention of renaming or reloading the database, instead reminding me
> repeatedly to backup my database. That surely can be taken to imply that
> the upgrade will alter the database. If the upgrade is not going to do
> anything to the database, a backup is of less value.

The 'main document' (called README) quite clearly states:

    If you are upgrading from a previous version of RT, please review
    the upgrade notes for the appropriate versions, which can be found
    in docs/UPGRADING-* If you are coming from 3.8.6 to 4.0.x you should
    review both the UPGRADING-3.8 and UPGRADING-4.0 file.  Similarly, if
    you were coming from 3.6.7, you would want to review UPGRADING-3.6,
    UPGRADING-3.8 and UPGRADING-4.0

    It is particularly important that you read the warnings at the top of
    UPGRADING-4.0 for some common issues.

-kevin