[rt-users] New Users and permissions

LAW Andy andy.law at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 04:52:14 EDT 2013

We ran for many years on a copy of RT 3.6.5 and I had a procedure that I could run through whenever I needed to add a new user, group and queue to the system. Around 10 months ago, we bumped to the 4.0 series and everything seemed to go OK. Now - for the first time in this new installation - I need to add a new set of users and I've hit a hideous wall. I hope that someone out there can help me!

I can successfully create the new user, with a password, and have checked the boxes marked "Let this user access RT" and "Let this user be granted rights (Privileged)". I can see the user in the list of active users and can add them to groups. I can use the password that has been set to log in to the system as if I were the user. However, the user is not able to reset their own password.

Now, I *know* that this is because the account needs to have the ModifySelf permission and I know where I would have gone to do that in the 3.6.5 system but I'm struggling in this 4.0.10 version.

If I head to where I *think* I should be which is:

Tools -> Configuration -> Global -> User Rights

then I see a list of users which does not contain the new user account. If I try to add the user to that list using the ADD USER box at the bottom of the list, nothing happens (well, stuff *does* happen with calls back to the server, but nothing *useful* happens and the displayed list doesn't change)

So, I'm stumped.

Am I looking in the wrong place or is this a bug I've uncovered (or is it a known bug)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Later,

Andy Law
--------
Yada, yada, yada...

Disclaimer: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.