[rt-users] Re-send a previously attached attachment?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Sep 6 12:18:55 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 05:35:18PM +0200, Christian Loos wrote:
> Am 03.09.2013 23:04, schrieb Kevin Falcone:
> > I have not worked with your extension yet, but as I recall the two
> > largest complaints with the branch as-is were:
>
> Maybe you or one of the other developers have time to have a look on my
> extension.

I hope to, we've been busy with the new release, but it's on my list
of things to look at.

> > Display of attachments on the new replies (they aren't true
> > attachments, and render in a funny way and were otherwise not as
> > obvious as needed).  Fixed if we better fake-up the attachment record.
>
> I personally like the solution from Thomas in
> https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/ea61a55 which is integrated
> with some small changes in my extension.

Thomas didn't like that solution after trying it in production with a
client. When I get a chance to look at the extension, I'll try to dig
out his specific objections.

> > Picking attachments from multiple transactions, especially on long
> > attachment heavy tickets.  This is a desirable feature, but just
> > providing a list of all attachments is... unusable.  We've played with
> > a few other UX ideas also.
>
> If it is here an problem, isn't it also a problem with the attachments
> widget on Ticket/Display.html?

I believe the attachments widget on Ticket/Display.html has problems
on long-lived tickets or attachment heavy tickets.  I hope it'll be
one of the things we address in 4.4.

> My current idea is to place the widget with the attachments after the
> message widget and before the submit button. The widget will be by
> default rolled up, as the 'Scrips and Recipients' widget if you have
> set SimplifiedRecipients to true in RT_SiteConfig.pm.
> Sadly the necessary callback is missing but I just send an pull request:
> https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/pull/65

I saw the PR and merged it earlier.

> > There's a longer internal writeup of problems with the branch, but it
> > has some customer-specific things in it.  I do hope we can find a
> > solution for 4.4 but at this point we've missed the 4.2 window.
>
> After the 4.2 release may you have time to give some feedback on my
> extension so I can send a pull request to integrate this one in 4.4.

It's definitely on my list.

-kevin