[rt-users] docs improvement suggestion for full-text searching

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 1 12:21:14 EST 2014

On 11/28/2014 03:12 AM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> Understood. Just a clarity nitpick :) Although I am confused by your
> statements that full text indexing isn’t available in MySQL. I’ve used
> this quite successfully in the past
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-fulltext-index.html

At the time the documentation was written, MySQL only had FTS support
using MyISAM, not InnoDB.  Commits 84066c4 and 77641fc on the unmerged
4.2/mysql-native-fts branch clarify the topic, as well as implement
native FTS support.

> Likewise, MariaDB has Sphinx support compiled in and available in
> their packages, which made this process almost trivial to enable.
> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/documentation/storage-engines/sphinx-storage-engine/about-sphinxse/

RT doesn't officially support MariaDB -- though this is almost purely
because of lack of documentation and testing infrastucture, not because
it is known to have failure modes.  When MariaDB support is added, the
Sphinx integration will be noted.

> I found three problems in the config pushed out by the sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index command:
>
> 1. You need to create and chown the var/sphinx directory it references
> 	mkdir /opt/rt4/var/sphinx
> 	chown -R sphinx:sphinx /opt/rt4/var/sphinx

Noted in

> 2. You need to add this binlog path line
>            binlog_path = /opt/rt4/var/sphinx
>
> 3. You need to add this compat line or searchd won’t start
>           compat_sphinxql_magics  = 0

What version of sphinx?  Neither of those are necessary with 2.0.
 - Alex