[rt-users] docs improvement suggestion for full-text searching

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 8 14:24:22 EST 2014

On 12/08/2014 01:12 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> Sphinx refuses to run without that parameter. Which given that it
> wasn’t defined in the file they really should have set the default
> appropriately and not whined at the user, but this is the version of
> Sphinx currently in RHEL EPEL so there’s going to be a lot of
> RHEL/CentOS users running into this problem.

I can't replicate the compat_sphinxql_magics problems you report with a
stock Sphinx 2.0.8 from EPEL on CentOS 6.  With a stock configuration as
provided by 4.2-trunk, indexer runs with no errors (see below).  If it
refuses to run, please show your configuration file, the sphinx version,
and the actual error when running without compat_sphinxql_magics.
 - Alex

-bash-4.1# rm /opt/rt4/var/sphinx/*
-bash-4.1# indexer --config tmp.conf rt
Sphinx 2.0.8-id64-release (r3831)
Copyright (c) 2001-2012, Andrew Aksyonoff
Copyright (c) 2008-2012, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file 'tmp.conf'...
indexing index 'rt'...
WARNING: Attribute count is 0: switching to none docinfo
collected 1 docs, 0.0 MB
sorted 0.0 Mhits, 100.0% done
total 1 docs, 626 bytes
total 0.009 sec, 64073 bytes/sec, 102.35 docs/sec
total 2 reads, 0.000 sec, 0.3 kb/call avg, 0.0 msec/call avg
total 6 writes, 0.000 sec, 0.3 kb/call avg, 0.0 msec/call avg

-bash-4.1# cat tmp.conf
source rt {
    type            = mysql

    sql_host        = 127.0.0.1
    sql_db          = rt4
    sql_user        = root
    sql_pass        =

    sql_query_pre   = SET NAMES utf8
    sql_query       = \
        SELECT a.id, a.content FROM Attachments a \
        JOIN Transactions txn ON a.TransactionId = txn.id AND
txn.ObjectType = 'RT::Ticket' \
        JOIN Tickets t ON txn.ObjectId = t.id \
        WHERE a.ContentType = 'text/plain' AND t.Status != 'deleted'

    sql_query_info  = SELECT * FROM Attachments WHERE id=$id
}

index rt {
    source                  = rt
    path                    = /opt/rt4/var/sphinx/index
    docinfo                 = extern
    charset_type            = utf-8
}

indexer {
    mem_limit               = 32M
}

searchd {
    port                    = 3312
    log                     = /opt/rt4/var/sphinx/searchd.log
    query_log               = /opt/rt4/var/sphinx/query.log
    read_timeout            = 5
    max_children            = 30
    pid_file                = /opt/rt4/var/sphinx/searchd.pid
    max_matches             = 1000
    seamless_rotate         = 1
    preopen_indexes         = 0
    unlink_old              = 1