[rt-users] Migrating maildomain

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Fri Dec 19 10:33:52 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Markus.Wildbolz at eu.magna.com wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> We are currently in a corporate-wide migration process of our mail
> domains.
> Old domain: @xy.company.com
> New domain: @company.com
>
> We are using ExternalAuth to connect to our LDAP. At the moment, the mail
> addresses in LDAP correspond to the old maildomain.
> If a user logs on at RT (or sends a mail), is the email address updated
> automatically or do we get new users with the new mail adresses?
> How could I tell RT, that two mail addresses correspond to the same user?
> Is there anything i could configure??
>
> Would be great, if someone has some hints for me where to start...
>
> Greetings,
> Markus

Hi Markus,

We run an update for the user's information in RT nightly based on their
uid in the directory. In our case we let our community select their preferred
Email address to be used by official communication. The only gotcha was to
ensure that CanonicalizeEmailAddress would accept both the old account address
and the new address during the transition period. In your case, it should be
one-to-one, but if you do not account for it you can get a failed to create
user error due to the conflict.

Regards,
Ken