[rt-users] Some external users not being AutoCreate'd

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:12:44 EST 2014

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Gerald Vogt <vogt at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On 10.02.2014 09:29, Mathew Snyder wrote:
> > A user who sends in an email for the first time should generate an
> > unprivileged account which sets the username as the email address. It
> > doesn't exist so it should be created.
>
> The user has been created with e-mail address user at example.com mapping
> to user name "user".
>
> Now the user sends e-mail from e-mail address user.example at gmail.com
> which you map to the same user "user" with LDAP. That's not supported.
> That would mean the same LDAP user has two e-mail addresses.
>
> You match users in LDAP using either of these attributes:
>
>         'attr_match_list' => [
>             'Name',
>             'EmailAddress',
>             'RealName',
>         ],
>
> If you don't have the gmail address in LDAP then it's probably the real
> name which matches. With your configuration you can only have one RT
> account for each real name. Thus if there is another "Mathew Snyder"
> with a different e-mail address it gets rejected because again.
>
> You don't want RealName in attr_match_list unless you are sure that each
> real name will only match to a single person with a single e-mail address.

I asked the person that is doing most of the grunt work to look into this.
Rather than comment out the RealName setting under attr_match_list he
commented it out under attr_map. This seems to have ad the same effect as
it no longer creates a second account with the same real name as another
that is in LDAP.

I'm not entirely sure why RT should care about a person's actual name. The
username is really all that is relevant. This seems to be a failure on the
designers part, as far as I'm concerned.